CARSNEWS
F1 & RACES

F1 Owners Announce Huge New Motorsport Acquisition In $4bn Takeover

Liberty Media has successfully completed the purchase of MotoGP’s commercial rights in a deal worth approximately €4.2 billion. This acquisition heralds a new chapter in the world of motorsport, merging the forces of two premier racing powerhouses.

Liberty Media, already known for its financially successful ownership of Formula One, has added a significant feather to its cap by acquiring MotoGP, one of the most exciting leagues of racing in the world. With this deal, Liberty Media now commands an 86% stake in MotoGP’s commercial ventures, leaving the remaining 14% in the hands of MotoGP’s management.

Greg Maffei, Liberty Media’s President and CEO, is “thrilled” about incorporating MotoGP into their sports portfolio. Maffei’s ambition for MotoGP is to elevate its profile worldwide, thus adding value for spectators, racing teams, and business associates.

“We are thrilled to expand our portfolio of leading live sports and entertainment assets with the acquisition of MotoGP.

MotoGP of Portugal
LAGOA, ALGARVE, PORTUGAL – MARCH 24: Jorge Martin of Spain and Prima Pramac Racing leads the field during the MotoGP race during the MotoGP Of Portugal – Race at Autodromo do Algarve on March 24,… Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images

“MotoGP is a global league with a loyal, enthusiastic fan base, captivating racing and a highly cash flow generative financial profile. Carmelo and his management team have built a great sporting spectacle that we can expand to a wider global audience. The business has significant upside, and we intend to grow the sport for MotoGP fans, teams, commercial partners and our shareholders.”

Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna Sports, the organisation previously overseeing MotoGP, is equally excited about the takeover.

“This is the perfect next step in the evolution of MotoGP, and we are excited for what this milestone brings to Dorna, the MotoGP paddock and racing fans.

“We are proud of the global sport we’ve grown, and this transaction is a testament to the value of the sport today and its growth potential. Liberty has an incredible track record in developing sports assets and we could not wish for a better partner to expand MotoGP’s fanbase around the world.”

The transaction concludes amid much speculation and negotiation between Liberty Media and Dorna Sports, navigating through potential regulatory challenges that have historically faced such significant market moves. For example, CVC Capital owned both F1 and MotoGP in 2006, but they were forced to sell the latter to comply with the demands of the European Commission.

Liberty Media’s acquisition of MotoGP is poised to revitalise the landscape of global motorsports, promising an exciting future for fans, teams, and stakeholders alike.

Uncommon Knowledge

Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.

Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.

Related Articles

Ο Enzo θα έδειχνε περισσότερο σεβασμό στον Vettel

cars

Δείτε πρώτοι το νέο Toyota C-HR στην υπερειδική του ΕΚΟ Ράλλυ Ακρόπολις 2023!

cars

Απαραίτητο το διάλειμμα για τη Ferrari

cars

O κορωνοϊός δεν θα πατήσει ξανά φρένο στην F1

cars

Formula 1: Το καλεντάρι του 2025

Bury

Το τρομακτικό ατύχημα στο GP Βελγίου (video)

cars

Η μέρα που μια Formula 1 διέσχισε την προκυμαία της Θεσσαλονίκης

cars

Ούτε τώρα δεν θα χριστεί ιππότης ο Lewis Hamilton

cars

Πριν τη Θεσσαλονίκη, η RB7 έκαψε λάστιχο στη Μαδρίτη (vid)

cars